Our volunteers are pretty awesome; they’re also the heart of our organization. They make WALKSAFE function on a daily basis, so we can provide McGill students and Montrealers with a safe-walk when walking alone at night, and school children with a safe-walk route to their daycare.
If you’re interested in improving the safety within McGill and Montreal, enjoy helping others, and love walking, then WALKSAFE just might be the community for you!
- A Dispatcher is a volunteer with at least one semester of experience as a walker. Dispatchers spend their shifts in the office, answering calls for safe-walks and dispatching volunteer teams. They are responsible for the logistical side of WALKSAFE operations, organising and dispatching human resources where they are needed.
- A WALKER is a volunteer who spends their shift in the office on standby until a call comes in. Walkers are arranged in teams of two.
- A WALKBuddies WALKER is a volunteer who accompanies elementary school children from their school to their daycare, Monday to Friday during the school year.
- The minimum commitment for all volunteers is two (2) 3-hour shifts per month. Of course, you’re more than welcome to take on more shifts!
WALKSAFE recruits twice per year during the months of September and January.
- Stage 1: Complete the online application.
- Stage 2: If your application is selected, you’ll be contacted for an interview once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- Stage 3: Once all interviews have been completed the new incoming volunteer group will be selected. All new volunteers are required to attend a mandatory general training session. Other specialized workshops will also be offered by external organizations through WALKSAFE.
- You must be a McGill student to apply.
- No previous experience necessary.
If you have any questions regarding our recruitment and/or training process, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit our booth during Activities Night in September and January to find out more about becoming a volunteer.